Yesterday, I wrote about jobs I’m glad that I don’t have. Today, I thought I’d finish off my list –
- Cop/Firefighter – I never did like uniforms. Maybe it comes from my secondary elementary school days where uniforms were mandatory, but I’ve never desired to wear the same thing every day, nor have I ever been attracted to a man that has to wear the same thing every day. I will say that at least both of these professions offer great benefits & good retirement. But aside from the obvious danger aspect to these jobs, I hear the hours suck and the pay isn’t really worth the stress.
- Scientist/Researcher – Great researchers exist in every generation. Where would we be without Einstein, George Washington Carver or Isaac Newton? But I can’t imagine spending my entire life studying, exploring and experimenting only to not live to see the results. Can you imagine working for 20- 30 years and never seeing any the final outcome of all of your research? Think about scientists who died before any significant accomplishment was made in their field. Great researchers like Gregor Mendel, who was considered by some as the ‘father of genetics’, died before he was ever recognized for his contributions to science. All I know is, if I dedicated my whole life to a particular cause or research and I never got to see the end results that would really suck.
- Dentist – Anyone who digs in someone else’s mouth is just gross. I’m sorry, I do know how important it is to have good oral hygiene, but I can’t imagine sticking my fingers & my face in someone else’s mouth. Unless I’m about to kiss you, I don’t ever want to be that close to a person. And there are so many different dental procedures, how can one possibly keep up? Everything from root canals to braces, from crowns to fillings, from teeth whitening to bridges, how do dentists keep up with all this ‘teeth technology’?
- Psychologist – I actually think this is a pretty good occupation. But it’s very stressful & psychologists have high suicide rates. The problem is that I could see myself getting tired of hearing people complain about their lives. In other countries there are people without running water, people who can’t vote and people that make less in a year than what I paid for my car. I know problems are relative but hearing complaints about things that are not life/death would greatly bother me.
- Engineer – I’m sorry, but this job just sounds boring. Yes, being an engineer is prestigious & you can make very good money but it is not a sexy job. Nobody ever really begs to sit next to the engineer at the dinner table and engineers are never really all that exciting outside of any new project they might be working on. Suffice it to say, this job is probably only interesting if you’re the one doing all the engineering.
Readers, are there any jobs that you’re glad you don’t have?