Cologne that smells good at the gym – Every fragrance doesn’t go good with sweat. If you’ve been wearing perfume or cologne all day long & then go work out, your body chemistry may be a little “off” at the gym. No one expects you to actually smell good while they are working out, but it would be nice if there was a cologne that actually smelled better with sweat, not worse.
Wearing white – Ladies, white is not your friend at the gym. All that sweat will drench your top exposing everything. And for that matter, men, if you have a lot of body hair, a wet white t-shirt won’t do you any favors either. You’re liable to look like a wet bathmat by the time you finish your workout!
Fanny packs – I will allow fanny packs at the gym. Normally, I think they’re ridiculous-looking out in public, however, I understand the utility of having one around your waist while you work out. If you’re like me & don’t use a locker at the gym, fanny packs can be good to hold your keys, chap stick, cell phone & even bottled water. It’ll never get in the way of you bench pressing or doing squats. Not to mention, you won’t lose it or ever have to place it on the floor.
No cussing zone – The gym should be a ‘cuss free’ zone. No one should have to be offended by foul language while they are getting their “fitness on”. Really, there should be no talking at the gym – only grunts and counting reps. I understand that using cuss words is second nature for some but for others the gym is their sanctuary. Who cusses in a sanctuary?!
Wipe down your machine – Each machine should beep if it’s not wiped down after every use. Too many germs can accumulate on the handles & knobs of each piece of equipment. Everyone is already sweaty and sweat & dirt just don’t mix. At the end of the day, it’s all about common courtesy. So please exercise some courtesy and wipe down the common equipment. Thanks!
What are your thoughts? Anything that your gym is missing? Share in the comments below –
Well folks, it’s that time of year when everyone is renewing their virtually unused gym memberships and trying to burn off those holiday calories. And in true ‘Chocolate Vent’ fashion, I’d like to share some of my observances from the gym as we usher in a whole new year!:
No dates at the gym – Guys, please don’t bring your girlfriend to the gym with you unless she is serious about working out. I have seen too many couples come in, holding hands, chit chatting & not getting any exercise. The girlfriend is usually taking up precious space in the workout area not mention the equipment that she’s “fake using”. I get the whole ‘quality time’ argument but the gym is really not the time or the place to date. Why not split up, get your workout on individually & then reunite when it’s time to leave? Unless you’re taking a fitness class together is there really a need to be side-by-side on every single piece of equipment? I saw one girl talking her boyfriend’s ear off while he was trying to lift some major weight. He couldn’t concentrate & she sure wasn’t much of a spotter with all of the weight he was attempting to lift. So why was she even there? It’s funny because when they left, he was sweaty & tired and she looked just as fresh as when they first came in. The moral of the story is: Don’t bring your girlfriend to workout with you unless she is there to, I don’t know, actually workout!
All personal trainers should be required to put their pictures on their business cards – I need to see what my potential PT actually looks like and I’m not talking about just a headshot either. I need to see the full physique – arms, chest, legs & all. Otherwise, how are you going to convince me that I should hire you when all I can see is your smile & the shape of your head?! Sell me! Prove that you have the discipline to get me where I need to be. The best way to do this is to have a muscly picture of yourself on your own business card. After all, 1st impressions are everything so impress me with that hot body!
Cover up that booty! – Ladies, please wear appropriate clothing to the gym. All women should wear t-shirts that at least cover their behinds. Ladies, just because you are at the gym to work on your booty, doesn’t mean EVERYONE wants to look at it. Please, save some of that showing off for when you leave the gym. Thanks!
Ring an alarm for people who don’t wipe down their equipment – How many times have I seen someone use a machine only to just walk away afterwards without cleaning or wiping it down? My gym has cameras everywhere & I think it would be great if they made an announcement every time someone left a treadmill or some dumbbells sweaty & unsanitized. “Would the gentlemen in the grey sweatshirt & neon pink socks please wipe off the equipment you just used for the health & safety of everyone after you, please?!” That would be hilarious!! Everyone would clean up after themselves then!
Punching bags should have their own rooms – if there was ever a need for soundproof rooms, this would be why. There are so many inappropriate noises that come out of men’s mouths when they hit that punching bag, they deserve their own section at the gym.
Pluck out those wedgies! – Getting a wedgie is just a part of life. But they seem to happen rather frequently at the gym. Unlike at work or at church it is perfectly fine to pick your underwear out of your behind. Don’t walk around in those tight gym pants or sweats letting me see how uncomfortable you are from behind! Be comfortable, unclench & pull those underwear out!
Women with big butts, please cover it up! – A lot of women like to show off their “assets” when they go to the gym. Maybe to catch a man’s attention or maybe because it’s more comfortable to wear tight-fitting clothing while working out. You can’t complain that men won’t leave you alone at the gym if what you’re wearing is distracting. If you have a big ole behind do us a favor & invest in a long t-shirt to cover it up. Spandex is NOT your friend!
No cussing at the gym! – Anyone who cusses out loud at the gym should be fined. I understand that using cuss words is second nature for some but for others the gym is their sanctuary. Who cusses in a sanctuary?!
Children should not be allowed in the locker room – Let me rephrase, children of the opposite sex should NOT be allowed in the locker room. One day I was changing in the common area of the women’s locker room when a lady entered with her 2 “grownup” sons. Her boys were probably around t 7-8 years old (unless they were just big for their age) definitely too old to be in a women’s locker room. If your kid is old enough to be in school or tall enough to reach your shoulders then they’re old enough to wait outside while you go into the women’s locker room.
No pajama pants at the gym – Why some people (namely female) wear indoor clothing outside, is beyond me. I understand that some people go to the gym first thing in the morning but that’s no excuse for wearing the same thing to the gym that you wore to bed. Show some respect for the gym & wear tight, skimpy clothing like the rest of us!
The gym is not your personal home salon – I don’t know why some women think it’s okay to administer their own facials at the gym. Plenty of women put on their Noxzema facial cream and then lounge in the steam room. How gross is that?! First of all, no one wants to have to look at someone’s facial mask while they’re relaxing in the sauna. Secondly, that’s just not sanitary – all sorts of bacteria can fester & spread in an overly-heated contained environment. Save the facials for your own bathroom, ladies!
Racing me to the machine – When the gym is crowded it can be a little tough to snag a machine but by no means is it a race! If you see me heading towards a certain machine don’t try & beat me to it. If you do that then I just may take a little longer on the machine when I get to it before you do. 🙂 Beating me to the treadmill is not a contest!
I hit the gym hard this weekend & took notice of a ‘few’ things. Here are my latest musings from my time working out.
Are there any funny things that happen to you while you’re at the gym? I’d love to hear about them in the comments section below! –
Since I am always in the gym, I feel like I’ll never run out of things to talk about there. There’s always someone or something to laugh about. Here are my latest annoyances from my time at the gym:
Many times I’ve written about my likes & dislikes at the gym. A lot of the things I see at the gym are either very distracting or just plain ridiculous. Now, I’d like to share with you some of the annoying things I see from people at the gym:
• Not workout – Why bother coming if you know you don’t really plan to get in a good sweat? Watching yourself in the mirror does not count as exercise.
• Asking me if you can go in between my reps – Leave me alone! You can use it when I’m done. Forgive me for not allowing you to use the machine that I’m working on. Just come back when the machine is empty because I’m not moving. I’ve already wiped down someone else’s sweat & I’m not about to wipe yours.
• Not putting their weights away – I don’t lift 200lbs on the leg press so why should I have to put it away just so I could use it? People need to just put their weights back before they walk away. What’s even worse is when people leave their plates leaning up against the places where people walk and either trip or crush their toes. Someone could be seriously injured causing them to miss out for several weeks on their exercise just because you were lazy & negligent.
• Spitting in the water fountain – That’s just gross!
• Too much hairspray or perfume – I shouldn’t have to stay away from an entire area just because you overdosed on beauty products. The only overwhelming stench I should smell is sweat & B.O.
• Not wiping their sweat off of the equipment when they’re done using it – Oh my goodness this drives me insane! I wipe down equipment before and after I use, so why shouldn’t everyone else?! Your sweat is no better than anyone else’s, buddy!
• People who try to chat me up – Don’t you see I have headphones on? I am usually very focused on my workout so I don’t have time to discuss last night’s TV episode or my weekend plans. And don’t think just because I’m taking a break you can have an extended conversation with me either. If I didn’t start talking to you first, keep it moving.
• Play on the phone – Your music playlist should already be programmed into your phone. Other than hitting play & occasionally pressing pause, why are you pressing any other buttons on your phone when you should be pressing the buttons on the treadmill instead?!
• Women who are stronger and/or better looking than me – How dare they come to the gym when they are already looking fit & trim? Those people shouldn’t be allowed in. The nerve of some people, I tell ya!
My gym recently switched from paper towels to hand dryers in the restrooms. While I understand this may save them money, it certainly has cost me convenience. Sure, you get to dry your hands a lot faster and it does feel good to have hot hair blowing on your hands (especially if you just washed with cold water). Not to mention that if you’re not feeling particularly social, you get to turn your back on everyone else in the restroom while you dry your hands. Regardless of all this, there are still a lot of disadvantages to using a hand dryer instead of using good old fashioned paper towels.
Here are some of my gripes about hand dryers:
• Water sprays everywhere – A big wind machine blowing water everywhere can get very messy. And depending on how you hold your wet hands under the dryer, there’s no telling where that water will blow. It could hit the wall, the floor, your clothes or worse yet someone else. Who wants someone else’s dirty water sprayed on them?
• Only one person can use them at a time – At least with paper towels, you can grab a few, step aside & let someone else grab some to dry their hands. In other words within the time span of 1 minute at least 10 people can dry their hands. With those dryers it’s got to be one person at a time which means not only will you have to wait to wash your hands, you’ll also have to wait to dry them. So what do you do while you’re waiting on a dryer? I guess you can stand around trying not to get splashed by the person already using the dryer!
• Not sanitary – Everyone doesn’t wash their hands (nor do they use soap) so the door handle can be quite gross. But without paper towels, there is simply nothing to grab it with. What’s a woman to do? You know your hands are clean, but you don’t know what kind of germs that door handle could be infested with.
• Having paper towels is job security for janitors – Don’t they realize that every time you replace a paper towel rack with a hand dryer, you’re costing another janitor their job? Who else comes in to pick up all the paper towels off the floor, empty the waste basket and refill the plastic trash liner? When you eliminate the need for all of that, you are adding to the unemployment crisis! (Okay, not quite but still you get my point)
• Loud & annoying – Let’s face it; these dryers are as loud as they are annoying. I come to the bathroom for peace and simplicity, not to hear a Boeing 747 take off. Plus if I’m in the middle of a conversation with someone else in the bathroom I always end up getting cut off because no one can hear over the load roar. The deafening noise from the dryer should not be the way I end my bathroom experience.
I guess at the end of the day these hand dryers may be here to stay, so I guess I have to get used to them, but this doesn’t mean I have to like them.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted about my time at the gym. So this week I thought I’d share some more observations for your reading pleasure –
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I like to write about my experiences in the gym. Click here to read more about that. Even though I haven’t worked out that much this week I’d still like to share my latest observances –