- I love the smell of new books. I mean who doesn’t? Knowing that you’re the first one to open the next greatest mystery or adventure where you might learn something new is a euphoric feeling
- It’s a good place to meet people. This is especially good if you’re single (like me). Aside from finding a great read, you might also find a great catch. You never know who you might bump into or someone you can strike up a conversation with about a book that one of you has already read or wants to read. The bookstore is an instant conversation starter when you’re meeting someone new. They say it’s best to meet people doing things that you love to do and since I love reading, the bookstore is perfect!
- The bookstore actually has some great events. From book signings to how-to classes, this is a good venue to learn something new or even make a new friend unexpectedly.
- It makes me want to be smarter. Who loses brain cells going to a bookstore? Or reading? No one, that’s who. There are a lot of other activities that either numb your brain or don’t do anything to expand your thinking but reading literally challenges your intellect & can only make you smarter and brighter.
- B&N is one of the few remaining bookstores out there. Sure, there are a few independent bookstores, but the premiere (and practically only) bookstore is Barnes & Noble and they run circles around the competition. Plus, other than the hush-hush library, where else can you go to read in peace?
- It keeps out the riffraff. People looking to make a scene or hangout & be loud don’t typically migrate to bookstores. Every now and then there will be a group of people that come in making a lot of noise but for the most part the bookstore is a calm, quiet place to shop. Remember, only people who want to get smarter go there!
- There is just so much to see! Everything from thrillers to science fiction, from romance to humor, the bookstore has it all. Most bookstores even have a video section and a toy section which means it’s a good place for the entire family. Even though I don’t have a family, I still like to browse the various sections. I could literally spend all day in the bookstore & still not cover everything.
- There such a diverse crowd at any given store. One of the things about books is that they’re universal. Each store holds books from around the world. Okay, not literally from around the world (most of their books were made here in the U.S.), but you know what I mean. Authors from Dostoevsky to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie can all be found under the same roof (that’s like a buffet of books!). And that’s just the authors! The crowd that comes to read and buy these books is just as diverse!
- They are open late. When you don’t have anything else to do and don’t feel like going home, the bookstore is usually open & waiting for you. The bookstores in my area close at around 10:00 pm or 11:00 pm which is perfect after either a long day at work or running errands on the weekend. I can end my day doing something I love to do – read!
- It’s free! Need I say more?! Bookstores let you come and read and browse and it doesn’t cost you a dime. You can literally fill your mind up with knowledge on just about any topic and it doesn’t cost you anything.
What your favorite section in the bookstore?