What’s holding you back from what you want to do? What’s stopping you from doing more & having the satisfaction of living out your dreams?
Well, there are a number of excuses that we could make OR we can face our issues head on. Here are some of the top reasons that people don’t do what it is they should be doing & how to get over it –
- You have an unrealistic workload – if this is the case, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Too much work can be overwhelming & cause you to shut down and get nothing (or next to nothing done)
- Unclear goals and priorities – not knowing what you’re supposed to be doing or the order in which you should be doing these things can cause confusion & chaos. Clearly define your goals & rank them so you know what to work on and when to work on it.
- Health problems – this is an obvious challenge may prevent you from doing a lot of things. Not just physical illness but even mental illness (including diseases like depression, epilepsy, etc.) can get in your way. Don’t be too ashamed to seek help (or even medication) if you need it.
- You are in a transition – this could be mental, physical or even emotional. Maybe you’re going through a divorce, about to have an empty nest or may have experienced a loss recently. When things like this happen, it’s okay to take a break & handle any personal transitions you may be going through before continuing to follow your dreams.
- Someone else is keeping you back – sometimes other people can have a negative impact on your life, whether they realize it or not. You can have a disorganized person in your life, someone who doesn’t motivate you to be better or even someone who attracts drama. These types of people need to know they are not helpful and should stay out of your way (especially if they are your true friends).
- You’re in a hostile environment – whether it’s at home or at work, hostility will make you less productive. This can cause you to end up spending a lot of time & energy dealing with excessive conflict and may even result in additional baggage on your part. The best thing to do here would be to remove yourself from this environment.
- Perfectionism – wanting to make everything perfect is a sure-fire way to slow down progress. As the old adage says, “It is better to have it done than to have it perfect”
- Fear of failure – sometimes just being afraid of what might happen is enough to keep us from making anything happen. Instead of being afraid to fail, focus on the aftermath of your successes.
- Fear of success – as odd as it may seem, those who don’t have a fear of failure may have a fear of success. And some people don’t know how to handle that. They don’t know how to handle the things that come along with being successful whether it’s money, attention or even raised expectations. Success can be very scary but if you have the right circle of influence, they can help you navigate your successes.
What has been holding you back from doing what it is you want to do? Please share –