I’ve heard from so many men that women don’t cook or clean anymore. A lot of men look to their mothers as the “ideal woman” and a lot of us don’t measure up because we don’t do the things that their mothers used to do.
First, let me speak on why I think women don’t cook or clean like they did in previous generations. Women are working more and don’t have the time or energy to spend on cooking or cleaning. I tell ya, after working 8-10 hours a day then sitting in traffic, the last thing I want to do when I come home is chop up a bunch of onions, pull out my measuring cups for a new recipe or have a bunch of dishes to wash at the end of the night. Cooking for one is much more difficult than cooking for two or more. I would much rather just spend $8.95 at my local Chinese restaurant for a teriyaki chicken combo or $10 for a pizza that will last me at least 2 days. Can I cook? Sure. Do I prefer to cook versus going out? Not really. My ex-boyfriend once told me that he would much rather spend $25 taking me out to dinner than to have me cook all the time because he knew that the 1-1 ½ hours it took me to prepare a meal & clean up afterwards would be better served spending quality time together.
Women may not cook like they used to but there are certainly some things that men don’t do anymore. Let’s take a look, shall we?:
- Bring us flowers – I can’t remember the last time I received flowers from a man & it wasn’t Valentine’s Day. What happened to the times when men used to bring flowers when taking us out on dates or if for no other reason, just because?
- Pay for the date – The economy is tough, I know firsthand. However, if you are man enough to ask me out on a date, then you should have the money to pay for the date that you asked me out on. If your finances are limited then I have two suggestions for you – 1) Pick someplace that is within your budget or 2) Don’t date until you can afford to do so. I wouldn’t buy a car that I couldn’t afford so I have the choice of getting a cheaper car or staying off the car lot completely. It really is that simple. No woman should ever be expected to pay for a date.
- Fix my car – I don’t really know any man that changes the oil on his own car. And I certainly haven’t seen any man with a AAA membership change a flat tire. Men talk a good game when it comes to car maintenance but I have yet to see one actually pick up a tire iron or even offer to check under the hood of my car for any possible repairs.
- Treat us with respect – Any man who can listen to a rap artist or comedian call a woman out of her name (insert b-word here) is arguably just as guilty of being disrespectful to women.
- Open my door & make sure that I get home safely – What happened to simple chivalry? Sure, most men open the door to the restaurant or to the movie theater on a date, but what about the car door? What about walking me to my front door when you drop me off after the date? It’s a shame that men don’t even do the things that are free anymore.
So men, you want me to cook for you? Then I suggest you pick up some flowers for me on your way over for dinner J